Remember Grandma's Family Dinners? Try Mrs. Wilkes House





I read about Mrs. Wilkes online and wondered why I never knew about this place since I've visited Savannah a lot. 
 I love antiques and anything old, now my husband well he's into all the technology stuff, so modern buildings, electronic stuff excites him. 
We visited Mrs. Wilkes on the way to a family reunion.  It was located in downtown Savannah on one of the most talked about streets in Savannah.  
Jones Street is just beautiful and in the center of the Historic District near the Design District.
They are open Monday through Friday from 11am-2pm,  This was my third attempt to eat here.

The lines were long, but they have benches and water.  





Mrs. Wilkes open her boarding house back in 1943 so I was a little drawn in by what was in the shop, I wasn't disappointed. We got seated after about an hour and half, thank goodness it was a cloudy day.  Don't know if summer will be the next time I visit.  The food was served family style. we were seated with other people which wasn't so bad since my cousins followed and stopped with us,  I love to talk, so no problem!!




There was a huge variety of food from, fried chicken, mash potatoes, green beans, collard greens, meat loaf, corn bread, I can go on and on. The food was tasty.  Not as tasty and I've had at some of my family reunions (I'm from the South).  But overall, I loved it and will definitely return.  The cost you can't beat to get a variety because I've been places paid a mint and if it wasn't right oh well.  The service was great and everyone was friendly.





My favorite is ice tea so you have one happy camper,  Les likes to sweeten his own tea so it was perfect!
 This place my not be for everyone but if a good southern meal is out of reach for you Mrs. Wilkes is the place!!



Did I mention while we waited in line I got a chance to walk around and snap some really cool photos!!!

They display photos of the President's visit










                         
I loved looking at the various items in the shop!
Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room
107 W Jones St.
Savannah, Georgia 31401
(912) 232-5997
Hours: 11:00 am- 2:00 pm

Comments

Copyright © Another Road Trip