Have you Seen Monument of States?


Recently  we decided to visit  Lakefront Park in Kissimmee, Florida.  Almost 20 years ago our family held a Reunion there.  I wanted to see the changes to the park.  At the entrance is the Monument of States.
A towering monument assembled after the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor using rocks from every state.  The Monument of States was dedicated in 1943 and is 40 feet high.  It was built from stones furnished by tourists.

As I was snapping  a couple of photos  I came  across a couple intensely checking the monument out. As I walked around, a gentleman wanted to share his reason for his visit.  "I have to check on my father's stone, do you want to see it?" he asked.  I was more than willing to see and hoped for more information.



 Well, Mr Ritzman and his lovely wife were from Ohio, they were vacationing and checking on the stone his father brought down from their Ohio Farm back in 1941.  His father had to donate a bag of cement to the project to have his name put in the surrounding stone.  Mr. Ritzman explained to me his father would vacation in Kissimmee every year.  The stone came from their farm back in Ohio.  He was born in the same house as father was born and still resides there.  His story made my visit so worth it!  I snapped a few photos of the stone, then included the Ritzman's.  I did the same with their camera.  Thanks to Mr. Ritzman and his lovely wife I am well educated about the Monument of the States first hand.  Whenever I'm in Kissimmee I will check on the stone.  I am honored to have met the son of the man that this stone belonged.





Sometimes we can learn a lot by just  taking the time to listen!!!  If you ever visit Kissimmee, stop by Lakefront Park and the Monument of the States, check on the stone from Ohio.  There are 48 other states represented, maybe you'll meet one of those families!!!

Comments

Copyright © Another Road Trip